Chickpeas – 1 Cup (Here I used the black chickpea variety)
Coconut – ½ cup (Grated)
Coriander – 1 tablespoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard – ½ teaspoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Green Chilli - 3
Ginger – ¼ inch
Black Gram Dhal – 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Curry Leaves – few
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Soak the chickpea overnight (or at least for 6 hours and ensure to change the water after 3 hours)
- Boil the soaked chickpea in a pressure cooker on medium flame till the cooker whistles thrice.
- Grind the ginger, green chilli in a mixer to form a coarse paste.
- In a frying pan add one tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot add half a teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Add one teaspoon of
Bengalgram dhal and one teaspoon of black gram dhal to the hot oil.
- Now add the green chilli and ginger paste along with curry leaves and Asafoetida.
- Finally add the boiled chickpea to the frying pan along with half a cup of grated coconut and half a teaspoon of salt. Fry for two minutes over medium flame.
- Remove the frying pan from the flame and add coriander leaves and lemon juice for garnishing.
Note: Those who wish to add onion and garlic may add chopped onion and garlic at step six.